7. The animators also prepared a shadow matte to add shadows to Roger. This is painted with hard edges and softened in the optical printing by throwing it out of focus.
8. Shadow mattes were also used to add a shadow cast by Roger onto the front of Bob Hoskins.
9. An articulate was prepared to mask the area of the fingers.
10. Using the articulate a new version of the back-light matte of Roger is prepared.
11. A new version of the shadow matte is also prepared. The shadow matte is combined with an inter-positive of Roger when it is run through the optical printer.
12. In the final composite Hoskins’ fingers grip Roger’s neck.